Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4 update: The Winter Olympics Final Day

The Winter Olympics Final Day

All of Canada was ready for the final show down for Men’s Ice Hockey. Early in the day people were heading to the arena (if they scored a ticket in the Olympic Ticket Lottery), the big screen areas or other places to gather and cheer on their idols. I watched the game on TV with friends in the Olympic Village as the broadcast was shown at many locations throughout the OV. Many said that the Final was the best Hockey Game ever at the Olympics. Down 2-1 the USA pulled their goalie and tied the score with 25 seconds remaining. All of Canada was shocked as the game went into overtime. Sidney Crosby scored the Golden Goal after about 7 minutes of OT. All of Canada (they invented Hockey) celebrated their most important of 14 Gold Medals. Hockey Medals for Men and Women were the same: Canada, USA, Finland. I enjoyed seeing the WO HK final and the Canada Slovakia Men’s Semi Final, as well and many of the preliminary round games.

Later in the day, I was given the opportunity to march into the Arena with the athletes and Olympic Delegations. I had been able to give free tickets to dozens of my friends, AIA teammates, and fellow chaplains over the course of two weeks. We saw some great events and were able to interact with the Olympians attending those events (we sat in a special section for the delegations). But the best was about to take place. I was able to walk in with one of the delegations and 8 of the chaplains were able to march in for the Closing Ceremony. What a thrill to be part of the party. After a great celebration of the Olympics and Canada, the delegations all went down on to the floor of the Arena for a great Rock concert. After it was over, we got back on the buses for the OV, thanking the Lord for the conversations we had during the waiting period before we walked in, as well as all the interactions we had with the Olympic Family the month of February.

Monday morning, I packed up and said good bye to my gracious host family, Horst and Wally, who had cared for me for 3 weeks, my wife, Noreen, for a week, and my More Than Gold friends Sergei and Dima for five days. I dropped Sergei (Ukraine) and Dima (Kazakhstan) off at the McDonalds near the Olympic Village, where my More Than Gold Canada friend Jack met them. This week they return to their countries after two weeks of meetings and seeing the MTG outreaches at the Winter Games. There was also a group of church leaders from London learning from the Vancouver experience how the Christian community can serve the Olympics with volunteers, providing information centers, free water, tea and coffee, or providing housing for some of the athletes’ families.

I stopped into the OV for one last time and was able to get a few T shirts and hats that were marked down to normal prices. I was hoping to find some of the famous red Canadian Olympic mittens, but they were sold out in every store in the region. Many friends requested these. Sorry I was not able to get them. I dropped off presents at the KAZ and BLR offices and said my last goodbyes in Vancouver. One last McDonalds coffee and I was on my way to Seattle.

Thursday, my wife, Noreen and I fly to Moscow. I will join the USA Freestyle wrestling Team for the World Cup in Moscow and then fly down south for dual meets in Nalchik and Vladikavkas. Your prayers are greatly appreciated.


(click on any photo above to see photo album)






In HIS grip,

Carl Dambman
 

Philippians 3:12-14
Carl's blog: http://carlaia.blogspot.com/

Athlete Testimonies: http://www.beyondtheultimate.org/

Athletes in Action Global: http://www.athletesinaction.org/
Athletes In Action Russia: http://www.athletesinaction.ru/
Campus Crusade for Christ International: 
http://www.ccci.org/





No comments: